Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Happy Hump Day...Don't Be Afraid to Spill That Soda!!!!




Hey Good Lifers...It's a Beautiful Wednesday Morning Out There and I Can't Wait to Hump Hump Hump it Up!!! :)  For Today's Blog Entry, I Found an Excerpt From 1 of My Favorite Books; The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch.  If You Have Not Read This Book, I Implore You to Do So ASAP...It's Short and Very Easy to Read.  This Book Will, Without A Doubt, Put Some Things About Life Into Perspective.  Regardless If You Read The Book or Not...Please Take 30 Seconds or So To Read This Little Passage...I Think It Hits The Nail On The Head!!!


"For a long time, a big part of my identity was 'bachelor uncle.' In my twenties and thirties I had no kids, and my sister's two children, Chris and Laura, became the objects of my affection. I reveled in being Uncle Randy, the guy who showed up in their lives every month or so to help them look at their world from strange and new angles.

"It wasn't that I spoiled them. I just tried to impart my perspective on life. Sometimes that drove my sister crazy.

"Once, about a dozen years ago, when Chris was seven years old and Laura was nine, I picked them up in my brand new Volkswagen Cabrio convertible. 'Be careful in Uncle Randy's new car,' my sister told them. 'Wipe your feet before you get in it. Don't mess anything up. Don't get it dirty.' I listened to her, and thought, as only a bachelor uncle can: 'That's just the sort of admonition that sets kids up for failure. Of course they'd eventually get my car dirty. Kids can't help it.' So I made things easy. While my sister was outlining the rules, I slowly and deliberately opened a can of soda, turned it over, and poured it on the cloth seats in the back of the convertible. My message: People are more important than things. A car, even a pristine gem like my new convertible, was just a thing.

"As I poured out that Coke, I watched Chris and Laura, mouths open, eyes widening. Here was crazy Uncle Randy completely ejecting adult rules.

"I ended up being so glad I'd spilled that soda. Because later in the weekend, little Chris got the flue and threw up over the backseat. he didn't feel guilty. He was relieved; he had already watched me christen the car. He knew it would be OK."


Pausch Has It Right...We Get So Caught Up In The THINGS We Have and Want, We Often Lose Sight of What Really Matters in Life...Human Connection.  We Get So Caught Up in Money and Status That We Overlook The Little Things That Truly Make Life Great...So Today, I Challenge You All To Find Someone You Love, and Pour Your Soda Out All Over The Place....Make Them Feel Good, Comfortable, and Most Importantly, Make Them Feel Loved!!!

Have A Great Day...Spread The Love!!!

#LivingTheGoodLife  #AllTheDays

#TGL  #ATD

No comments:

Post a Comment